Search This Blog

Friday, February 7, 2014

The Blessed Sisters' Crochet Lesson

For many reasons, most of which were beyond our control, we were missing from each other's lives for the better part of 15 years.  We missed out on being sisters, and aunts, and daughters.




We have spent the past several years trying to rebuild safe bridges and move forward.  God has been holding our hands on this journey, and with countless prayers and sometimes, wavering faith, we have made many glorious memories. Personally, I have been desperate to make up for lost time.  As my grandmothers got older, I have felt the need to cling to tradition.  I have my great-grandma Branen's butter churn which is frequently used because my husband and I have some dairy cows, and we prefer to do things the 'old-fashioned' way.  My sister has my great-grandma Branen's jelly making spoon, and she puts it to good use by making amazing treats!  She usually has some jars in her car to pass out to lucky friends and family!
 

 

 
 

Recently, I asked my grandma Bower to pass her crochet skills on to me.  We tried this when I was young, but I'm a Lefty, and it was too frustrating to learn from a right hander.  However, my determination overcame my frustration, and the lesson was finally scheduled. Many people found out about the upcoming lesson, including my sister.  She asked to join in, so we made a day of it.  I bought the 'more expensive' crochet needles because, if they are more expensive, they must work better, right?! That statement brought a round of laughter from everyone in the room, cementing my rookie status.
 


After searching for the correct thread to pull to start the yarn ball, Uncle Jack showed his expertise!  Aunt Betty playfully and hilariously reminded us that, "You've got to be careful what you pull on because you could get yourself into trouble!" Yarn-ball making is definitely a skill because my first attempt at home was a tangled disaster! 
 






The lesson was full of laughter and warmth, and Grandma seemed to brighten with each passing moment. The Hospice nurse who came by thought she was in the wrong room because, "The patient was sitting up in bed giving her granddaughters crochet lessons." The nurse checked the room number and asked at the nurse's station to make sure she hadn't gone into the wrong room. 
 
Grandma was tender and encouraging to us as our inexperienced fingers fumbled with the yarn. The word had gotten around town about the lesson, so we had several visitors come by to watch. A special thank you to Aunt Eve for taking the pictures for us on this day.  Grandma was so proud; her smiling face speaks volumes! 
 
Luckily, I was able to make the transfer from right to left handed crochet. Sadly, that was our one and only lesson.  The rest of the beginner's lesson will have to take place in heaven because she passed on yesterday afternoon.  My sister and I feel incredibly blessed that we were able to give grandma some joy in her final days. God blessed us beyond our wildest dreams that day allowing us to create lasting memories of one of the strongest women I have ever known.
 
The day before she passed on, I spoke with her on the phone, and she told me how proud she was of my progress on my 'square' of crochet.  I know she left me with the beginnings of a lifelong hobby that will remind me of her every time I sit down to create something - even though I'll never be as talented as my teacher! 
(Please note this is the guest blog from my sister YoYoMoo.
I am blessed to have her as my big Sissy!) 

No comments:

Post a Comment